Prevent fires in your home by exercising caution in your daily activities! Whether you're in the kitchen, relaxing by a fire, or getting ready for your day you need to make sure you're being fire safe!
Never leave food cooking unattended.
Keep things away from the stove (pot holders, towels, etc.)
Avoid wearing loose fitting clothing while cooking.
Keep children at least 3 feet from the oven/stove.
In case of a grease fire, use a lid or ABC fire extinguisher to put it out.
If your oven is on fire, keep the door shut and turn the heat off.
Remember, YOUR SMOKE ALARM IS NOT A TIMER!
Use a glass or metal screen to prevent flying sparks from your fireplace.
Keep all combustible materials at least 3 feet from heating appliances, fireplaces, and stoves.
Have your heating equipment/chimney inspected and cleaned annually.
Always use the appropriate fuel for your heater and NEVER fill while it is operating.
If you smell gas in your heater/appliance, do NOT light it!
Install CO (Carbon monoxide) detectors to avoid CO poisoning.
If you have small children, install tamper-resistant electrical receptacles.
Replace cracked and damaged electrical cords.
Only plug one heat-producing appliance (such as a coffee maker, toaster, space heater, etc.) into an outlet at a time.
Do not pinch cords against walls or furniture or run them under carpets where they can be stepped on and broken.
Only use extension cords for TEMPORARY wiring.
If receptacles or switches feel warm, shut off the circuit and have them checked by an electrician.
Never place cloth over a light bulb to dim or soften the light. Use a low wattage or soft white bulb instead.
Use light bulbs that match the recommended wattage of the appliance.
Call an electrician if you have :
-recurring problems with blowing fuses or tripping circuit breakers.
-a tingling feeling when you touch an electrical appliance.
-discolored or warm wall outlets.
-a burning smell or rubbery odor coming from an appliance.
-sparks from an outlet.
Remember to blow out candles before leaving the room.
Keep candles at least 1 foot away from other items.
Try using flameless candles! They look and smell like real candles without the hazard.
Never use candles or an open flame if using oxygen in the home.
Do not use candles during power outages. Use flashlights or other batter powered lighting instead.
If you must smoke, only do so outside.
Use non-combustible, deep, wide ashtrays.
Make sure smoking materials are COMPLETELY out before disposing of them.
Never smoke in a home where oxygen is being used.
Use only fire-safe cigarettes.
Do not smoke if you are drowsy, have been drinking, or have taken medicine or other drugs.
Keep matches and lighters out of children's sight and reach.