Submit Your Own “It’s Working” Story
Have you witnessed a true “It’s Working” story? Submit your story here and your story may be featured on our website or Facebook.
Homeowners’ quick thinking helped to save house
February 10, 2023
Smoke detectors alert occupants to house fire. Occupants close doors to contain the fire after using fire extinguisher.
About 30 Elizabeth Court Apartment residents evacuated due to Thursday morning fire.
A resident of Elizabeth Court Apartments on East Washington Street in downtown Hagerstown was taken to Meritus Medical Center with minor injuries Thursday morning after careless smoking ignited an upholstered chair in his apartment, according to Hagerstown Fire Department Capt. John Murray.
“Another great story about sprinkler heads,” Murray said. “They really make a difference.”
Spokane Valley Fire roundup: Sprinkler system helped control fire at industrial park
January 6, 2022 –
A business fire that could have led to severe damage was kept in check by a sprinkler system at the Spokane Industrial Park on Sullivan Road. READ MORE
FIRE SPRINKLER ACTIVATION EXTINGUISHES FIRE IN RESIDENTIAL COMPLEX
HARFORD COUNTY , MD (10/15/2021)
Smoke Detectors credited for lives saved in Norfolk NE fire
NORFOLK, NE (10/02/2021)
Working smoke detectors are bring credited for saving a family from harm and a home from extensive damage after a house fire on Saturday, Oct. 2nd, in Norfolk, Neb.
No one was hurt in that fire.
Firefighters Save Man’s Life on Southwest Flight From Boston
NORTH ATTLEBORO (09-16-2021) –
North Attleboro Fire Chief Christopher Coleman and a group of firefighters saved a man’s life on a Southwest flight Thursday morning.
Chief Coleman and several active and retired firefighters were on a flight from Logan Airport to Chicago Midway Airport when a man in the row behind them started suffering from a medical emergency.
Fire At Downtown L.A.’s Bonaventure Hotel Held in Check By Sprinkler System
Los Angeles, CA (09/12/2021)
Two people were hospitalized with minor injuries suffered in a fire Sunday on the 22nd floor of the 33-story Westin Bonaventure Hotel in downtown Los Angeles.
The fire appeared to be largely in or near a utility or service area (trash receptacle, ice machine, etc.) at the iconic structure, authorities said.
A third person treated at the scene declined further care, said Brian Humphrey of the Los Angeles Fire Department.
West Jefferson crash survivor “saved by the belt”
WEST JEFFERSON, Oh. —
West Jefferson’s Jessica Trimble joined Ohio’s “belt-save” club after being rescued from a life-threatening injury with a safety belt. The accident occurred on February 24 on State Highway 161 in Madison County.
Investigators: Sprinkler system may have saved lives, property in Lancaster County (PA)
LANCASTER TOWNSHIP, Pa. —
Investigators say a sprinkler system may have saved lives and property in Lancaster County.
Crews were called around 7:15 a.m. Wednesday to Dickens Drive in Lancaster Township for a fire that started in a microwave and spread to the cabinets above.
Smoke alarms save family of six during overnight house fire (OK)
OKLAHOMA CITY (KOKH) — Firefighters say a family was saved from a house fire thanks to working smoke alarms.
Four adults and two children were able to safely leave their home and call 911 earlier than if their smoke detectors were not working OKCFD said.
Sterling Heights family grateful for fire department’s life-saving visit
STERLING HEIGHTS, Mich. – After a recent house fire, one Macomb County family is feeling extremely grateful for a visit from their fire department one year before.
A fire recently broke out at the Wagenbach’s home in Sterling Heights. Daughter Layla Wagenbach was cooking at home when she heard the fire alarm go off — but the smoke wasn’t coming from the oven.
Fire Officials: Smoke alarms credited with saving 3 lives in Bemidji MN house fire
BEMIDJI, Minn. (Valley News Live) – The Bemidji Fire Department says a smoke alarm installed in a home last year, saved three people from a home fire.
The fire department says it was called to the southeast side of the city just after midnight on Sunday, April 18, for reports of a mobile home fire.
Operation 6abc: Save a Life Fire Safety Campaign 2021
The 29th annual Operation 6abc Save-A-Life is now underway. Nearly 200 fire companies received free smoke detectors on Tuesday that they will install in the homes of families in need. “We have seniors who can’t get out to get these detectors, and you make these available to us, we make them available to the community,” said Ed Grossman of the Folsom Fire Company. Sponsors like Toyota and Kidde helped to provide 10,000 smoke detectors this year. 6abc President and General Manager Bernie Prazenica says the campaign is about commitment to the community. “Our viewers, our friends, our colleagues, they’re the ones who benefit from getting these free smoke detectors, so it’s a big deal,” he said.
Working smoke alarms save lives twice this month in Williamson County TN
FRANKLIN, Tenn. (WKRN) – Fire officials in Williamson County said for the second time this month, working smoke alarms saved lives.
The Williamson County Rescue Squad responded to a house fire on Leipers Creek Road Monday morning at 6:50 a.m. Smoke alarms woke those inside the home who were then able to exit and call 911. The fire was directly under the master bedroom where they were sleeping.
Tragedy averted: Sprinkler system extinguishes fire in Anoka MN senior living building
The sprinkler system in an Anoka senior living facility may have prevented a tragedy last week after a fire started in a fourth-floor unit.
Around 4:30 p.m. Jan. 25, the Anoka-Champlin Fire Department was dispatched to Walker on the River, a 45-unit, six-story apartment complex on Ferry Street for adults age 62 and older.
Calif. sisters, 15 and 17, use skills learned at FD camp to aid crash victims
Ashely Roa, 15, and Stephanie Roa, 17, were presented Certificates of Heroism, the highest recognition for civilians presented by the Orange County Fire Authority.
Cheshire Fire Officials’ Praise For Nursing Home After Fire
Cheshire, UK – Chief fire officials have sung praises of a Mobberley Nursing Home after fire.
Smoke Detector May Have Saved Lives At This Watertown Home (NY)
WATERTOWN, N.Y. (WWNY) – A working smoke detector may have saved lives when a small fire broke out in the duct work of a Watertown home Thursday.
Sprinkler System Saves Building
Juneau, Alaska (KINY) – Capital City Fire Rescue said a commercial structure would have sustained serious fire damage had it not been for a sprinkler system and fire alarm.
Middletown Family Averts Disaster with Smoke Alarm, Fire Extinguisher
Quick actions, a smoke detector and a fire extinguisher help to save a family from serious fire damage. What could have been a devastating fire was limited to a damaged laundry room thanks to the early detection of a working smoke detector and a handy fire extinguisher.
Fire at Franklin Pediatric Clinic Extinguished by Sprinkler System
Franklin fire investigators said the damage was limited to the room where the small blaze began thanks to the sprinkler system. Damage to the building is estimated to be less than $10,000. No interruption of business or care is expected for the practice.
Newly Installed Smoke Alarm Helps to Save Oshkosh Couple
Deaf couple were alerted to kitchen fire thanks to newly installed smoke alarm. The special alarms that alerted the couple were installed earlier that days thanks to the American Red Cross and their “Sound the Alarm” Campaign
Harrisonburg Fire Says Sprinkler System Saves Apartment
One sprinkler head was able to control the fire using less than a few gallons of water preventing more extensive damage.
Smoke Alarms Credited for Helping Save Lives in Mobile House Fire
Smoke alarm woke up family saving mother and her two children.
Eight Lives Saved in Georgia Due to Free Smoke Alarm Program
The Red Cross and Walker County Fire Rescue say at least 8 lives have been saved recently because of the Red Cross Home Fire Campaign.
Over the past two years, firefighters have placed a thousand free smoke alarms in Walker County, supplied by the Red Cross and other organizations, in homes.
Elderly Somerville Resident Saved by Carbon Monoxide Alarm
Thanks to the Senior SAFE Grant, this resident was alerted to the carbon monoxide before a tragedy occurred.
Sprinkler System Saves Animals From Fire At Pet Shop
The sprinkler system extinguished the flames. No Pets were injured. Damage was minimal.
Four-year-old alerts, saves family from Zionsville house fire
Four-year-old saw the smoke and alerted his parents to evacuate.
Working sprinkler system contains Appleton apartment fire
A fire in the Appleton apartment building was contained thanks to a sprinkler system.
Long Island Family Of 4 Saved By Carbon Monoxide Alarm After Gas Burner Problem
A carbon monoxide detector alerts a family to the harmful fumes.
Fire Marshal: Hagerstown Apartment Fire Intentionally Set
Thanks to working smoke alarms a couple and their four year old were able to safely evacuate.